Thursday, May 22, 2008

SUE SAAD AND THE NEXT - Self-Titled LP



If you had a listen to the Laurie and the Sighs album I recently posted about, you'll have a good idea of what Sue Saad and the Next sound like. In the same way as the Sighs, Sue Saad and company take a high energy, not quite power pop, not quite new wave and not quite basic rock and roll but somewhere in-between approach on their one and only album, 1980's self-titled release.

The band is best remembered for the lead single from this LP, Gimme Love/Gimme Pain, which is a catchy mid-tempo rocker. There's plenty more memorable hooks on the album, particularly in revved-up cuts such as It's Gotcha, I I Me Me and Your Lips-Hands-Kiss-Love.

Sue Saad and the Next did not last long enough for a sophomore LP, but Saad went on to perform the theme song to the 1981 film, Looker.


Sue Saad & the Next - self-titled (LP, 1980)

Track listing:
1 - Gimme Love/Gimme Pain
2 - It's Gotcha
3 - Prisoner
4 - Young Girl
5 - I I Me Me
6 - Your Lips-Hands-Kiss-Love
7 - I Want Him
8 - Cold Night Rain
9 - Won't Give It Up
10 - Danger Love

FOR FANS OF:
Pat Benatar, Laurie and the Sighs, Scandal, Genya Ravan, Spider

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm interested to hear this... I swear I recognize the band name from somewhere.... Were they on the soundtrack of a movie called "Times Square," do you know?

(I found your blog via Uncle E, btw. I'll be stopping back!)

Unknown said...

Ah, nevermind. Found what I was wondering about. they were on the soundtrack for "Roadie".
I knew the name was familiar...
I'm listening right now, and I really like it. Reminds me, slightly, of Pat Benetar or, more slightly, Tom Petty.

Frank K said...

Hi Matt, thanks for the comments. If you like this album, you should check out the Laurie and the Sighs album I posted below this!

Anonymous said...

Sue was singing another 4-5 songs in movie Radioactive Dreams (She was also acting in this movie)

rahman muhammad said...

Dear Alls,
I owned the LP when I was in Belgium in 1980. Sue Saad and The Next was very "POWER". Miss them.
Rahman - Kuala Lumpur.